Home Tour Information Museum History Groups Events Contact
The earliest record of mining activity at the site of Tour-Ed Mine was in 1850. Known later as the Avenue Mine, it was operated by Allegheny Steel and mined by the Leechburg Mining Company. The coal extracted during this period was used locally at the Allegheny Steel plant in Brackenridge and shipped by rail throughout the nation.

Ira Wood acquired the mine in 1964 and provided coal to many local concerns, including Tarentum Power, PPG and the Allegheny County Workhouse.

After modifying the mine for visitor comfort and safety, Tour-Ed Mine and Museum was officially opened in 1970. Since then over one million tours have been given by the staff of real miners.
In the 1800's, miners dug coal by pick and shovel and loaded it into a cart next to them. The miner would attach a brass tag with his identifying number on the cart and a mule would pull the cart to the top of the mine to be weighed. Miners were paid per ton.
Route 28, Exit 14, Tarentum
Just 20 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh!
(724) 224-4720
info@tour-edmine.com

Pittsburgh Website Design, Pittsburgh SEO by Pittsburgh Ad Agency, Matthew James Creative.