The earliest record of mining activity at the site of Tour-Ed Mine was in 1850. Known later as the Avenue Mine, it was operated by Allegheny Steel and mined by the Leechburg Mining Company. The coal extracted during this period was used locally at the Allegheny Steel Plant in Brackenridge and also shipped by rail throughout the nation.
Our late founder, Ira Wood, acquired the mine in 1964 and provided coal to many local concerns, including Tarentum Power, PPG and the Allegheny County Workhouse.
After modifying the coal mine for visitor comfort and safety, Tour-Ed Mine and Museum was officially opened as a Pittsburgh attraction in 1970. Since then over 1 million coal mine tours have been given by experienced miners and staff.