Pull Up a Seat, You're Going to Coal School!
Experience what it was like to be a coal miner in the 1850s and today. Your guides are real coal miners who will treat you to an amazing, educational tour 160 feet below the earth's surface. It's one of the most unique family attractions in Pittsburgh!
The Shift Whistle is Blowing!
Time to go to work. Put on your authentic Tour-Ed Mine hard-hat and climb into a real coal car for a ½ mile journey into a mining experience you'll never forget. It's one of the really “Coal” things to do with the family in Pittsburgh!
- Inspected, safe mine environment modified for group tours and attraction comfort
- All guides are experienced coal miners, educated in mine safety
- Live demonstrations - Experience what it's like to be a coal miner
- Authentic mining tools and methods from the 1850s through today
- Mine Tours are approximately 30 minutes underground
- A light jacket is suggested with a mine temperature of 52 to 55 degrees year-round
- Tour groups are taken 25 or fewer at one time to ensure an experience like no other
- Buses and all-size groups welcome
- Unique, educational school and scouting fieldtrip
- Covered picnic pavilion available; reservation suggested